Plastic and cosmetic surgery is now common and affordable for those who desire or require it. It is used for many reasons such as enhancement, repair after injuries and scars, or just to help individuals feel confident with their look. Plastic surgery mistakes are generally rare, but when they do occur, an attorney should be consulted.
There are no guarantees in medicine, including plastic surgery, making mistakes and errors possible. Doctors are surgeons are held to certain standards and safety precautions, but medical malpractice does occur. When these standards are not maintained, negligence may result in injury.
Common Fort Lauderdale Cosmetic Surgery Errors
Generally speaking, accidents and mistakes involved in plastic and cosmetic surgeries are anesthesia and drug reactions or bleeding. Sometimes, although rarely, death may occur. When these accidents happen, it’s important an attorney is consulted to determine whether it was the result of medical malpractice or negligence.
Examples of common Fort Lauderdale plastic surgery mistakes are:
- Liposuction: This procedure removes fatty tissue from various areas of the body. Blood clots, nerve damage, and fluid retention are possible complications.
- Abdominoplasty: Also known as a tummy tuck, medical malpractice in these procedures can result in blood clots or severe bleeding, infection, scarring or disfigurement.
- Rhinoplasty: Changes in the shape, position or size of the nose is a rhinoplasty. Complications may include breathing problems, issues with sense of smell, disfigurement, infection, and damage to parts of the nose.
- Rhytidectomy: Also known as a facelift and wrinkle removal, malpractice accidents include necrosis, cysts, nerve injury, deformity or severe bruising.
- Breast Reduction or Enhancement: There are a few risks of negligence when changing the size, shape or position of breasts which including disfigurement and scarring, infection, blood poisoning, implant rupture and loss of part or all of the breast or nipple.
Handling a Plastic Surgery Malpractice Claim
In the event of a plastic surgery mistake, there are a few very important steps you should follow.
Document Your Injuries
Over time, our perception of an event can become jumbled, especially if it causes a lot of distress. As soon as possible after your injuries or accident, document everything you can think of as accurately as possible.
Seek Medical Care as Needed
You should seek immediate medical care if serious injuries are involved. Keep records of bills and medical paperwork involved in appointments you schedule as a result of a plastic surgery mistake.
Contact an Attorney
It is crucial to hire an experienced Fort Lauderdale plastic surgery mistakes attorney when involved in medical malpractice or medical negligence. Representation from a knowledgeable lawyer can help you recover costs and damages in your case.
Frequently Asked Questions About Plastic Surgery Malpractice Claims
Each state has their own laws limiting the amount of time a person has to file a personal injury lawsuit. These laws vary by state as well a by what type of lawsuit. Under Florida law, a person who has been injured by a plastic surgery error usually has only 2 years in which to file a malpractice lawsuit.
Learn more about the statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims in Florida.
Plastic surgery malpractice cases often involve more complex scientific and medical issues than other types of personal injury cases. It’s important to seek the help of an experienced medical malpractice lawyer who has the skill and resources to discover the evidence needed to prove your case.
Read more about choosing the right attorney for your malpractice case.
All medical malpractice cases are unique, including plastic surgery errors. There is no easy answer to determine the potential compensation that might be recovered, but some factors that can affect the value of a case include:
– Injury severity
– Amount of medical bills
– Permanency of injuries
Finding a Plastic Surgery Malpractice Lawyer
Lisa S. Levine P.A has over 25 years of experience and specializes in medical malpractice, cauda equina, and plastic surgery negligence cases. Her commitment to justice ensures her clients come first. Our knowledgeable firm is here to help and happy to answer any questions you may have following a plastic surgery injury.
Call 855-551-8060 or fill out our contact form online for a free consultation.