Most back surgeons are highly trained and dedicated medical professionals who only want what’s best for their patients.
But they’re only human — even the best orthopedic surgeons can make a mistake. However, there are certain mistakes a back surgeon SHOULD NEVER make.
These mistakes include:
- Failure to operate or treat in a timely manner
- Performing the wrong surgical procedure
- Leaving a foreign object inside a patient
- Prescribing the wrong medications
- Misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose a condition without a proper examination
- Performing back surgery on the wrong part of the part of the spine
- Performing back surgery in a non-sterile environment
- Performing back surgery with contaminated instruments or defective equipment
- Failing to get a patients consent before performing a procedure
- Failure to diagnose post surgical complications in a timely manner
- Failure to inform patient of risks of surgery or try less invasive procedures first
What do all these mistakes have in common? They occur for only one reason: negligence. A competent orthopedic surgeon should never make these types of mistakes. Medical malpractice occurs when these negligent actions cause injury and suffering to a patient.
Filing a Back Surgery Malpractice Lawsuit in Fort Lauderdale
If you went in for back surgery and were injured as a result of an orthopedic surgeon’s negligent actions, you may be able to file a back surgery malpractice lawsuit to recover the damages and losses caused by a spine surgeon’s negligence.
Lisa Levine is a leading Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice attorney who has helped many clients recover the compensation they deserve after having their lives turned upside down by the careless mistake of a surgeon or other healthcare professional. This includes patients injured due to the negligent actions of a back surgeon. Depending on the circumstances in your case, you may be able to recover compensation for damages such as:
- Present and future medical expenses, including physical therapy and medical devices
- Loss of wages and loss of future income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Legal fees
Proving Your Injuries Were Due to Medical Malpractice
It’s important to mention that there’s no such thing as “risk-free” back or spine surgery. The muscles, nerves, spinal bones and especially the spinal cord are delicate structures that are easily damaged. Any back surgery procedure has the potential to leave a patient with the following complications:
- Recurring pain
- Nerve damage
- Loss of sensation
- Blood clots
Just because your procedure didn’t produce the desired results doesn’t necessarily mean that you are the victim of medical malpractice. And not all medical errors rise to the level of medical malpractice.
Because of the often risky nature of back and spine surgery, pursuing a back surgery malpractice lawsuit can be a challenge. In order to be successful in your back surgery malpractice lawsuit, you must be able to prove that:
- A doctor/patient relationship existed;
- The doctor was negligent in their diagnosis and/or treatment;
- You were injured as a result of this negligence; and
- You suffered damages as a result of these injuries.
Fort Lauderdale medical malpractice attorney Lisa Levine possesses the experience, skills and resources to prevail in even the most complicated back surgery malpractice lawsuit cases. She has successfully represented clients injured in a wide range of back procedures, including:
- Spinal Fusion
- Disk Replacement
- Epidural and steroid injections
- L4-L5 surgery
- C4-C5 fusion
- C-5 replacement
- C-6 replacement
- Interlaminar Implant
- Spinal decompression surgery
- Cervical fusion – single or multilevel fusion
- Cancer removal
- Lumbar fusion
- Bone grafts
- Lumbar and Thoracic procedure
Results Matter When Selecting a Lawyer to Represent You in a Back Surgery Malpractice Lawsuit
Lisa Levine is a top rated Fort Lauderdale surgical malpractice lawyer who has recovered millions of dollars in settlements for clients who were injured due to negligent back and spine surgical errors and other acts of medical malpractice.
Lisa is best known for her dedication to protecting her clients’ rights and has an impressive record when it comes to securing big settlements for clients injured due to back or spinal surgery malpractice. This includes $2.5 million for a woman who developed Cauda Equina Syndrome as a result of an intraoperative injury to her spine, $1.5 million for a man who suffered nerve damage after botched back surgery and $250,000 for a woman whose back injuries were made worse when a back surgeon misplaced the surgical screws in her spine.
Speak to a Fort Lauderdale Attorney Spine for Surgeon Errors
Since 1986, back surgery malpractice lawyer Lisa Levine has helped clients in Fort Lauderdale, Weston, Pembroke Pines, Hollywood FL, Sunrise, Pompano Beach and other South Florida communities recover the compensation they deserve an injury due to an act of medical malpractice.
Lisa is available for a free initial consultation to discuss your case, answer any questions you may have and provide helpful feedback on your legal options for moving forward. She represents her clients on a contingency basis, which means there are no up-front fees for her legal services and you don’t pay her fees until after Lisa’s secured your settlement.
If you were injured during a back surgery or other procedure due to an error on the part of your doctor, reach out to the law offices of Lisa Levine without delay. Florida law places statutes of limitation on the time in which you can take legal action. If you wait too long, the courts may refuse to hear your case.